Monday, February 3, 2014

Decorating My Daughters Room


Confessions of a seriously obsessed mommy...


I honestly spent more time and energy putting together and decorating my daughters room than I spent on my wedding!


The pure excitement and anticipation of having a baby girl (my first child at 34 years old) really motivated me in decorating Sofia's room.  I think the combination of having a little girls room to decorate and wishing to put as much love and happiness in it as possible really inspired me to be creative.  Perhaps the whimsical nature of childhood allows you more opportunity for creativity and fun.



Let me just start by saying that I spent hours scouring www.Pinterest.com for ideas, and when I say hours, I mean HOURS!  I found quite a few ideas that I used for inspiration, and amazingly they did not turn out to be "Pinstrocities".  I started working on Sofia's room when I was about 6 month pregnant and am still making little tweaks here and there as she grows and changes.  Here's what I did...

1. Picking a Theme

I started with the idea of wanting the room to be a calming space with elements of whimsy and girlish charm.  Then I decided on a general "Garden" theme with lots of birds, flowers and woodland creatures.  From there it was easier to think about color and I decided on lavender and spring greens, with room for additional spring color accents (pink, orange, topaz blue etc).  I looked at several different wall color options and finally decided a soft lavender would be the best for a calming effect.  I am so happy with the color I picked - it is soft and soothing.

I also picked up some fantastically easy to use vinyl stickers to decorate the main wall.  I picked a tree with animals and flowers, and I think it looks adorable.  I'm also happy that I can easily change it later as she grows and her room changes.

2. Deciding on Furniture

After looking at a ton of websites that carry nursery furniture, from the Land of Nod, Pottery Barn Kids, Ikea to Target etc I decided that some simple white furniture and accessories would be the most inexpensive, feminine and contemporary option.  I found some awesome deals at Ikea (of course) like a changing table, the window seat, dresser, the hanging light and chair in the corner of the room.  I think the light was like $12. After we put all the furniture together I purchased a rug from RugsUSA.com (which was on sale and because we got a smaller size it ended being under $200).  I picked a couple of pricier items like the green curtains from Land of Nod to make sure I had the right colors, and I'm really happy that I did.  Overall, we did not need to spend too much on furniture and accessories for her room because I waited until things were on sale, and shopped around at multiple stores.  I also re-purposed items to fit the theme, like an old bed side dresser that I painted white and put some new hardware on. It matches everything perfectly (total cost for that like $30).

Dresser I painted and added new hardware - Jason jigsawed the front edges to make them rounded

3. Adding Personal Touches

Along with the new things we purchased especially for Sofi's room,  we also filled her room with vintage items from mine and my husbands childhood like baby blankets and stuffed animals, hand me downs from family members, hand made items from family and friends, beautiful gifts from family picked up on their travels, and re-purposed items.

One example of a hand made item is the SOFIA name banner I made out of scrap book paper, stencils, white paint and some twine.  Another great DIY how-to find on Pinterest!


I used cute artwork I have collected over the years, (including this Mary Blair print) and artwork from friends. I put them in white frames to match the furniture.

Our friend Jackie made this beautiful handmade artwork with Sofia's name and date of birth. She makes adorable handmade gifts - check our her blog too...Jacqueline Heckman 


4. Creating A Fun Space

I really wanted Sofia's room to be fun and have lots of places for toys and books, and room to play.  Without having the room feel cluttered or overwhelmed with toys I thought about how she would use the room, and how to store all the toys and books.

Here's what we did...
My husband and I picked up an inexpensive bookshelf from Ikea and turn it on it's side to create an upholstered window bench.  I found the idea on Pinterest and basically copied it.  I used some green fabric and some foam I picked up from Joanne's Fabric store and an MDF board from Home Depot. Cut everything to size, then stapled the fabric over the foam and board, and voila!   After adding some fabric bins for storage it became the perfect seat/ toy and book storage area.


I wanted to put some books out of her to reach and some on display but kept safe from toddler hands until she's older, so I ordered a spice rack and put the nice books face out on it.  

We also added a little glass display case to the wall to keep all the little delicate breakable items I have saved for her.


Lastly, per our wishlist, my brother and sister-in-law purchased a little green tent for Sofia that fits perfectly in the corner of her room. It is her own private play house and reading nook.






Kathy's mobile hangs over Sofi's changing table - it has done wonders to keep her entertained while changing diapers!


My only regret is that I wish we had just broken down and purchased one of those ridiculously expensive glider chairs for the corner instead of the Ikea chair (cute as it is, it is not that comfy), as I REALLY wished I had that when I was breast feeding.

The pillow is from 'Forrest Friends' - I got it at Comic Con when I was pregnant - BTW - never go to a large convention like that when you are 6 month pregnant!


Other than that I think everything turned out beautiful, and really functional for a child's needs.

A final note:  My husband was involved in every step of the way and we decided on everything together :)

Happy decorating!

2 comments:

  1. I love the photos, what an adorable child's room!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the blog reference! Excited that you've joined the blogging community! Can't wait for you to post your awesome mac n cheese recipe!!

    ReplyDelete