Friday, October 3, 2014

Smoothies for Toddlers

Mommy secrets for getting in some much needed toddler nutrition...

Lately I have been making smoothies for breakfast for my toddler and myself.  My daughter has really been picky with food the last few months, and I struggle to find ways to get her to eat vegetables, and many other foods for that matter!

So my new favorite thing is to make a smoothie first thing in the morning.  I love them for myself too since I am pregnant with my second baby, smoothies are a perfect treat to start my day.


Since I pretty much only use organic fruit and veggies (to avoid nasty pesticides) I tend to buy a lot of frozen fruit and vegetables.  They are usually cheaper than the fresh ones, and they last longer.  Trader Joe's has a nice selection of organic frozen fruits.


Forget Jamba Juice - this recipe is so yummy and super healthy!!


Banana, Mango and Carrot Smoothie...


1 cup frozen or fresh berries - like raspberry and blueberries
1/2 cup frozen or fresh mango (some people are allergic - just substitute with peaches or maybe pineapple if you don't want mango)
2 cups of milk
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup of Pumpkin Flax Granola cereal
2 whole bananas
1/2 cup of baby carrots

Blend in a blender or food processor - DONE!  So delicious and nutritious!  The granola and carrots give it some nice crunchy bits but it is still smooth and tasty :) My daughter will drink two large cups in the morning.  Then, even if she doesn't really eat much, or won't eat any veggies for the rest of the day I don't have to worry because I know she got her fill of fruit/ veggie power for breakfast, and also plenty of protein, fiber, potassium and calcium.

The smoothie will appear orange, pink or purple depending on which combination of berries you use.  I switch it up between blueberries, strawberries and raspberries.



No comments:

Post a Comment