Thursday, September 25, 2014

Beauty Products I Love



 My Favorite Beauty Products: 

Safe for Pregnant and Nursing (or just health conscience) Moms: 


Since becoming Mom-In-Chief I have had to alter my beauty regime to meet the needs of a hectic life with a little one.  I have also become more informed and aware of the harmful effects chemicals can have on your skin, your health and your baby's health as well.  Now, I'm pregnant with baby number two and I'm being extra careful with what I eat, drink and put on my skin.

Motherhood meant changing my lifestyle in almost every way.  For my beauty routine, I had to basically do 3 major things...


1) Quick and Efficient
Firstly, I had to speed things up - getting out of the shower and having only 5 minutes to get ready instead of my previous 45 minutes.  Everything needed to change, my routine needed to be faster, more efficient, and work some magic on my tired eyes, dull complexion and sad looking hair.

2) Go All-Natural
Secondly, I had to do research and read all the ingredients on products to make sure they were safe to use.  Now that I know how harmful a lot of chemicals used in beauty products can be, and how awesome the more natural products have turned out to be - I will never go back to my old ways.

3) Cut Back
I used to go to the salon about every 4 or 5 weeks to get my hair cut, and some kind of color touch up - usually highlights.  I also used to spend a ton of money on beauty products, spa treatments, hair products and hair appointments.  Now I go to the salon every 3-4 months - and have opted for more manageable hair cut and color so I don't have to go as often.  Mainly because, I don't have time, and I can't afford to spend so much on my hair anymore.  All my extra cash goes to baby clothes, toys and toddler classes. 

So, I recommend finding ways to keep yourself feeling good about the way you look, while cutting back on the time and money it takes to maintain the 'baby-free girl' hair and makeup habits.

For the All-Natural part of my new beauty habits I have learned a few things that are worth sharing...

Examples of chemicals to avoid in beauty products for pregnant or nursing moms:
(Unfortunatley - many of these chemicals exist in most products on the market)  

- Parabens (known to cause cancer) found in most shampoos
- Retinol (The biggest NO-NO of all - can cause major birth defects to unborn babies)
- Alcohol (certain types of alcohol is added to most over the counter shampoos, conditioners and facial moisturizers)
- Salicylic acid (a big NO-NO - can cause birth defects)
- Beta hydroxy acid
- BHA
- Soy derived ingredients - Soy itself is not bad in small doses but in large and regular doses it can act as an Endocrine Disruptor which basically means it can change your body's hormonal makeup - and that is not good
- Phthalates (found in perfumes)
- (DHA) Diyhydroxyacetone (found in almost all tanning products)

Note: the above chemicals found in many skin care and beauty products can cause damage (in some cases major birth defects) to an unborn baby, and also to infants through the mothers breast milk. Of course these chemicals are harmful to you as well - many are known to contribute to a range of health including cancer.

Me at 32 weeks with my 2nd baby


I've basically simplified my routine down to a few steps with a handful of products.

1. Cleanse, regularly exfoliate
2. Moisturize, SPF tinted moisturizer for day time, extra moisturizing cream for night
3. Apply all over body lotion when I get out of the shower.
4. Apply a tinted moisturizer with SPF, mascara, brow pencil, blush and lip balm - DONE
- Occasionally put on some eyeliner and shadow if I am feeling really fancy and have extra time.

For my hair - I spend 20 mins on it after I have washed it - but I only wash it every 3 or 4 days to keep it healthier and also to save time.  Not to mention becoming a new mom has meant I have to often go without a shower - so sometimes I have to settle with just washing my face and freshening up.

In the evening after I put my daughter to bed I wash my face and put on a great overnight moisturizer.  I have also found that baby bedtime is the perfect time to pamper yourself when you can - take a nice long bath, give yourself a pedicure and do a face mask.  I try to make time for myself for things like that at least once a week - trust me - it makes such a difference!!

Here is my list of top 10 mom friendly products and brands I love: 

(I focus mainly on beauty/ makeup products in this list) I will do another article specifically about hair next...(stay tuned)



1. Neutrogena Naturals - Purifying Facial Cleanser

Why I love it - it always leaves my face feeling squeaky clean and helps clear blocked pores.  Also, it has a small list of ingredients and is formulated without sulfates, parabens, petro-chemicals, dyes and phthaltes.  They also have an exfoliating cleanser which I like too.

Best part about this cleanser - the price - retails for about $7.50 and can be found at Target, CVS and other convenient places to shop.

http://www.neutrogena.com/product/neutrogena-+naturals+purifying+facial+cleanser.do

2.  ORIGINS - Plantscription SPF 25, Anti-Aging moisturizer

One of the few products I will splurge on is a good moisturizer with SPF in it.  It is worth it to me to have beautiful, hydrated skin that is protected from the sun.  This is one my 'expensive purchases' - I do it every so often because I love this product - but I also mix things up with some more budget friendly, and easy to find options.





3.  Lip Balm Lip Balm and more Lip Balm

 

I know I can't be the only mom out there to have 3 or 4 lip balms in every bag.  I had to list my 3 favorites for this one because this is honestly the most important product to me.  If I could only have one product - a great lip balm would be it.



- EOS - A standby - I have one in my medicine cabinet - I use it every time I go in the bathroom.
- Sugar Petal by Fresh (has SPF 15) - I like this one since it has color, and protects your lips from the sun - and therefor aging!
- Burts Bees - has a range of great all natural lip balms to choose from - some are tinted which is great for looking pretty
- Honest Company - lip balm trio pack.  The best part - you can get these at Target now! Woo Hoo

4. Lanolin-Agg-Tval (Eggwhite Facial Care Soap)

This soap has been a Swedish beauty secret for centuries - and now I know why! I've honestly noticed my skin tone being more even since I've been using it.  It's kind of like doing an egg-white facial since it's made with egg whites.
Purchase on Amazon


5. Organic Doctor Olive Oil Over Night Cream

Wake up looking beautiful and refreshed!

This all natural cream works wonders for your skin while you sleep.  Keep your summertime beauty routine simple with this amazing cream - you just apply it on your face and neck right before bed and wake up beautifully refreshed and moisturized.  I can't say enough good things about this product - you have to try it!!


6. Argan Hair Products: 



I was using Moroccan Oil products until I found out that they contained silicone which is like a liquid plastic.  Then I switched over to 100% Argan Oil and have never been happier.  Try this product and your hair will thank you!  You can also buy Josie Maran argan oil products which can be used for your skin or hair.




Argan Oil 100% Certified Organic Moroccan, 1 Oz, Acure Organics



7. Trader Joe's Enrich Facial Moisturizer with SPF 15:

Enrich Moisturizing Face LotionForget spending a ton of money on a daytime moisturizer when you can get this lightweight little gem at Trader Joe's for $3.99!

I love the way it feels - it gives the right amount of moisture and has SPF to protect your skin from the sun - it doesn't get better than that.

The best way to keep the wrinkles at bay is to keep your skin properly hydrated and protected from sun damage.  If only I had known that in my early 20's!







8. Organic Doctor Coconut Hand and Body Lotion:

I can not get enough of the Organic Doctor line of products.  I haven't tried them all yet - but the ones I have tried have really impressed me.  I LOVE their Coconut body lotion.  It feels wonderful and smells wonderful too.  Since coconut oil is one of the main ingredients - you know it's good!  Coconut oil is a fantastic skin and hair moisturizer (as well as used for cooking) just on it's own - I always keep a jar of it my pantry.


I am excited to try all of their products!! 

9. Lotions, Washes, Hair Conditioners, Sunscreens and more!

Kiss My Face

Kiss My Face is another brand I love - I often buy their face washes, lotions and moisturizers - usually I find them at Whole Foods and sometimes Target too.  They are reasonably priced, their products smell good, and you can feel good about using them on yourself or your kids. 

http://kissmyface.com/natural-lip-care/item/102/Kiss-My-Face-Shimmer----Garnet
(I love their lip balms and lip tints!)


10.  Makeup Products:

Instead of listing off all my favorite specific products I've decided to share my favorite trusted brands - since I use all different products and switch it up all the time.  These brands are the tried and true, most natural way to go when purchasing makeup that you can feel good about - and look gorgeous wearing!

 

Josie Maran
http://www.josiemarancosmetics.com/shop/lips/
Josie Maran's line of Argan Oil products are one of my favorites!  I love the tinted moisturizer - they protect and hydrate my skin, give just another color to even my skin tone - and have ingredients that I can feel good about putting on my skin.


Tarte
tartecosmetics.com
Tarte cosmetics brand description is 'High Performance Naturals' and I totally agree.  I haven't tried all their products - but I love their lip balms and mascaras.


Lavera
http://www.lavera.com/lavera-products/organic-makeup.html/ 

When it comes to all natural, organic, safe makeup products Europe is way ahead of the game.  European standards for healthy ingredients is much stricter than in the United States, and as a result there are a number of European brands that have developed high quality, safe makeup products.

I just recently discovered Lavera, and I tried a sample of their eyeliner and I was impressed with it.  I am excited to try out makeup from the rest of their line.  They boast all natural, organic ingredients without artificial perfumes and other harmful chemicals.



RMS Beauty
http://www.rmsbeauty.com/shop/index.php

This brand is a favorite among celebrities Victoria's Secret models like model-mommy Miranda Kerr.  The product line boasts a number of cheek stains, lip stains, bronzers and eye shadows that use all natural pigments and leave you skin looking dewy and refreshed.  You can purchase items on their website.


Hope this article has been helpful to you!  If we can all spread the word about all natural, organic products and demand higher standards for the ingredients used in our products we can make a difference and see a growing demand and variety of healthy products on the market.

Keep following me to see more articles like this.  My next article will be more specifically focused on hair products.

No comments:

Post a Comment